In Part 1 of this series, I covered how business great Tim Ferris does his version of New Year’s resolutions.
How do other successful business leaders use this time to set their yearly goals?
What New Year strategies do they and others use to stay focused in the year ahead?
Bill Gates: Founder of Microsoft
Every year Bill Gates conducts his “end-of-year assessment”. He reflects on
- “What was I excited about?” and
- “What could I have done better?”
He also asks himself other questions about his life such as:
- “Did I devote enough time to my family?”
- “Did I learn enough new things?” and
- “Did I develop new friendships and deepen old ones?”
Siimon Reynolds: Co-Founder of Photon Group
Siimon Reynolds does a short exercise. He allocates 10 minutes to ask himself the following two questions:
- What are the top 3 areas of my business where I really need to lift my standards?
- In each area, what’s the one best way of doing it?
This exercise works well because it increases your clarity. It also doesn’t overwhelm you with a huge To Do List (that often never gets done). You end up with a small handful of actions that will make a difference to your business success.
US ‘Shark Tank’ investor Robert Herjavec
“I live and die by my calendar.” Robert Herjavec has an end-of-year ritual that sets him up for success: organising his calendar for the whole next year.
”It allows me to manage my time and priorities.”
He said planning 12 months ahead of time maximises his productivity.
“It doesn’t mean that everything on the calendar needs to be locked in,” he said, “but it gives me an idea of where I’m going to be, and when, so I can get the most out of my time.”
“Set aside time to do a full calendar review six months, or a year out, to make sure you are on track with your yearly goals as well,” he told Fortune Magazine.
Practical, impactful Tools you can use for your business planning
To assist you in setting your business strategy and first quarter priorities, get my:
- Quarterly Planning Tool, and
- Project Prioritising Tool.
Just email me at [email protected] and let me know which one(s) you are interested in and I will be happy to forward them to you.
Also, if you need help with getting everything into alignment for next year, feel free to book a 1:1 strategy session with me here to ask a question or to get coached through a specific challenge you face.
Jonathan +61 (0)408 748 980
P.S. Whenever you are ready to start scaling up your company, there are 3 ways I can help you…
- Grab a free copy of my book “CEO Business Growth Secrets” here.
- Check out my podcast, “Business.focus” where we share stories from owners, MDs, and founders about what has made them and their organisation successful by clicking here.
- Book a brainstorming session with me here to ask a question or to get coached through a specific challenge you face.